March 20, 2013

Curiosity vs Guts


It just sort of turned into a habit. I do it even when nobody's looking, when i'm in my room all by myself. I'm a perfectionist. What is they say - 'Fool yourself to fool others'? But anyhow, Miss Frou, tell me, have you got guts?"

"Not really, no."
"Never had 'em?"
"No, I was never one for guts. Not likely to change, either."
"How about curiosity?"
"Curiosity's another matter. I;ve got some of that."
"Well, don't you think guts and curiosity are kind of similar?" said Frou.
"Where there's guts there's curiosity, and where there's curiosity there's guts. No?"
"Hmm, maybe they are kind of similar," I said. "Maybe you're right. Maybe they do overlap at times."
"Times like when you sneak into somebody's backyard, say."

"Yeah, like that," I said, rolling  a lemon drop on my tongue. "When you sneak into somebody's backyard, it does seem that guts and curiosity are working together. Curiosity can bring guts out of hiding at times, maybe even get them going. But curiosity usually evaporates. Guts have to go for the long haul. Curiosity's like a fun friend you can't really trust. It turns you on and then it leaves you to make it on your own - with whatever guts you can muster."

She thought this over for a time. "I guess so," she said. "I guess that's one way to look at it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be nice to get a feedback from you :)