December 25, 2012

Happy Christmas!

6:00 pm, I took out my bike, plugged my earphones and started to pedal along the dimly-lit street of our neighborhood. It's Christmas by the way, and I can really tell that it is a whole lot different than before. Those houses that used to be serenaded by Christmas carols and flickering lights are now gone. Every house I pass by looked haunted, devoid of families that used to celebrate their Christmas at home. Probably everyone is enjoying their hard earned money in the consumer capital of the Philippines, or just chilling out in the sterile moneymaking malls.

I don't have anything against this, but it's just depressing that a lot of things has changed. The warmth I've been looking from a more personal and warm approach of Christmas, is now, somehow, replaced by the warmth of laptops, social networking, and mobile devices, e.g. (Facebook). What was once a day of hugs, handshakes, chatter, laughter, kisses, now became a day of virtual interaction. Sure, there are a lot of things that helps us connect by the dawn of the internet, I myself is an avid user and a victim, maybe. But this technology, when abused, can change a certain habit, a culture, or even a society.

Maybe I just miss those days when our family would just sit down the couch, listen to christmas songs or watch a movie on the eve and waiting for little kids sing their carols. A nice cup of hot chocolate before bedtime, and to wake up with presents waiting to be opened under the christmas tree.

And so, after those two hours of riding my bike around the neighborhood aimlessly looking for a thing that I don't know if still exists, I went back to our home and closed the gates.

Happy Christmas everyone!

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing how you are able to put so much of your heart in the way you write. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emoooooooooooooo.

    People still have the freedom to choose how to spend their Christmas. Don't blame it all on technology.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with this. Philippine tradition is slowly going down the drain, and sadly, Christmas is not an exception. I miss the old Christmas too.

    P.S. I am so sorry I wasn't able to reply to your comment on my blog early. I didn't know someone visited until I saw the notif in my email tonight. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

It would be nice to get a feedback from you :)